The first mention of Svyatsk dates back to the 16th century. In 1512, it was part of Grodno “povet” and was ruled by the representative of the famous Lithuanian family who was Yuri Radziwill.
In the 18th century, the Lithuanian magnate Volovich bought Svyatsk. In 1779, his son Anthony expanded the area by buying several nearest farms. At that time the construction of the stone palace was begun by the Italian architect Giuseppe de Sacco.
After the third division of the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, when Russia, Austria, and Prussia finally divided lands in 1795, Svyatsk became the part of Prussia. In the early 19th century, it was the part of the Russian Empire in 1807.
After signing the treaty of Riga in 1921, Svyatsk was included in Polish territories (the Second Polish Republic). After the collapse of interwar Poland in 1931, Svyatsk became the Soviet city.
Svyatsk in the 21th Century
A small village in Grodno region is located 8 kilometers from the Augustow Channel and the Polish border. In the beginning of the century, 57 inhabitants lived in the village. After the 2009 census, there were 32 inhabitants in the village.
Volovich Palace and Park Ensemble in Svyatsk
The foundation of a two-story palace was built in 1779. The central part was built in Baroque style with some elements of Classicism. At the beginning of the 19th century, wings and gallery colonnades were added to the palace. A chapel was built in front of the palace in the Gothic Revival style.
The living quarters of the palace were decorated in accordance with trends of the late 18th and the early 19th centuries: there was a grand hall with wide stairs, connected by corridors with side rooms. The second floor, in addition to rooms, included a hall.
The architect created a plan of the interior design as well - fireplaces, doors, furniture, etc. were made according to sketches of Sacco. The interior was decorated with stucco works and paintings. The decoration was fully completed only in the late 18th century. Inside and outside, the palace corresponded to the Baroque style with some elements of Classicism.
It was decided to create English park and garden in the courtyard. Hornbeams, maples, and pines were planted on the territory of the estate. Special attention was paid to the ponds. An apiary and orangery were built as well.
In the 18-19th centuries, the Volovich family estate was surrounded by moats. Some are partially preserved today.
At the end of the 18th century, the owner Volovich lost his family estate. New owners could not pay debts. In the 30s of the 20th century, during the government use of the palace, it was reconstructed and it became a medical clinic. Only fireplaces, door frames and some stucco works are preserved nowadays.
In Soviet times, the palace was used as a resort. However, for a long time, nobody reconstructed the palace. It is known that a large-scale reconstruction is planned. After reconstruction, the palace of the 18th century should become restaurant and hotel complex with a beautiful park.