Svetlogorsk is one of the youngest cities in Belarus. In 1560 it was first mentioned. Initially, it was the village of Shatilka. The name was given in honor of Roman Shatila, who received a gift for military service this place. Therefore Svetlogorsk was given the same name. The status of the city was received only in 1961, at the same time a new name was given to Svetlogorsk.

The city was situated on the Berezina River in Gomel Polesie. It consists of seven microdistricts.

During the First World War, Svetlogorsk was occupied by German troops, and the Belorussian People's Republic was proclaimed in this territory. It ceased to exist after liberation from the Germans in 1918 and, beginning in January 1919, the city became part of the BSSR, and since 1991 it is part of the Republic of Belarus.

The city has the largest enterprises: Svetlogorskaya TPP, house-building plant, pulp and paper mill, welding electrode factory, etc. For sports fans there is a tennis court, a swimming pool, three stadiums and a large sports complex.

There live more than 70 thousand people in the city.

City History Museum

Founded in 1978, and visitors to the museum began on November 5, 1979. The museum has two floors and more than six rooms with exhibits. At the first level, we can observe exposition related to ethnography and archeology, ecology and nature, and, of course, exhibits dedicated to the Great Patriotic War. The second floor represents to our attention the socio-economic, industrial development of the city at the present stage. Also there are exhibits dedicated to the war in Afghanistan. Friends of the museum can visit the club "Sobesednik". Employees of the gallery arrange excursions, entertainment events and shares, covering all age categories of people, so every guest who finds himself here will certainly enjoy it.

In Svetlogorsk there are many monuments of culture and architecture that attract the attention of tourists.

An ancient mill is one of such monuments. It is located near the village of Molcha. The fact that the mill is the oldest, say the dates of 1848 and 1878, which can be seen on its millstones. The mill is still operational.

The Alterheim house was built in 1880, and it was part of a visiting courtyard, where traders came. In 1917, Soviet power was proclaimed here.

On the embankment of the square we can find a mourning bell weighing nine tons and made of bronze. The monument was dedicated to the Great Patriotic War.

In the village of Shatilki in 1648 the first wooden church was built. At the time of Napoleon it was burnt and a new one was built only in 1818. Before the war in 1939, the church was destroyed. In 1990, restored and illuminated as the Church of the Cross Exaltation.

Cultural and educational institution is the house of crafts. The main goal is to preserve and promote the best traditions of folk crafts.

There is a studio-workshop where you can learn eight kinds of this skill. Also here you can visit the exhibition hall, where every year there are more than 15 exhibitions. And, of course, you can buy souvenirs in the store salon.

Map location

Back to the list