Speaking about the sights of Gomel region, one can’t but mention Krasniy Bereg. It makes up the “Golden Ring of Gomel”, and it is quite reasonable.
There are a lot of things to see and remember for the rest of your life: an unknown but very beautiful Gatovskiy mansion, the everlasting memorial dedicated to the children-victims of Nazism.
To get to this place, where nearly 2400 people live nowadays, one need to drive almost 104 kilometers from Gomel along Minsk-Gomel highway. So, why should you visit Krasniy Bereg? Let’s learn its story.
It was first mentioned in chronicles in 1317
Another reference of Krasniy Bereg dates back to 1528 when nobleman Zenkovich sold his possessions to another nobleman. This Act of Purchase and Sell dated in the16th century gives the exact information that at that time the village was a part of Rechitsa County, Minsk Province of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
Krasniy Bereg and some other villages were completely ruined during Russo-Polish War in 1654. The existence of the village was only mentioned in 1862, when peasants started to buy back the land from the nobleman.
At the beginning of the 18th century only 18 people lived in the village and 23 more - in the lord’s house. Then in 1877, Major General Gatovskiy bought the mansion in Krasniy Bereg. After he had granted the mansion to his daughter Maria and her husband, Vikentiy Kozel-Poklevskiy turned out to be the person who changed its future fundamentally. Famous European craftsmen fully transformed the existing palace and the “English park”. Neo-gothic and neo-renaissance styles prevail in the architecture of the palace. In addition, the park is considered to be a sample of the landscape and gardening art of the 19th century.
In 1905, local peasants tried to rob the mansion, but the help came from the Kazaks rather quickly. Moreover, this palace and park complex escaped from artillery shells and tanks during the Second World War. At that time there was a German hospital; later soviet soldiers got medical help here.
In the 20th century, Krasniy Bereg witnessed great reconstruction: a jam-reserving plant, a fuel storage with a railway station attached to it and a new school building appeared there.
Even now there is no exact information on the number of people who died in this village during The Second World War.
German army occupied Krasniy Bereg from July 1941 until June 1945.
By Hitler’s order blood donor concentration camp for children was built here. This chapter of village history is full of extreme cruelty. Children aged 8-14 were taken there. Some of them suffered lingering death – they gave their blood to wounded German soldiers. Other children were sent to Germany to die in battles. One of the greatest transit camps of Gomel Region functioned in Krasniy Bereg, more than 15 thousand people got through it, and 12 thousand of them were children. After the war, there was a memorial in honor of the children who had suffered from German occupation built here.
Krasniy Bereg in peacetime
During 1960s, the village was growing. Industry was developing rapidly: a starch plant (the only for the whole Belarus) and bread-baking factories were built; farms, forestry, a private power station and 15 shops appeared. Public education restarted quickly: an agricultural college, a library, a secondary school, a music school and several kindergartens opened.
In 1962, the borders of Krasniy Bereg widened significantly – some villages and farmyards were included in it. In October 2009, the village changed its status to the agro-town.