Korma is an urban village situated in Gomel region, located on the right-bank tributary of the Sozh river. This river is called Kormyanka. The name “Korma” is one of the most widespread on the territory of Belarus, however, there is only one administrative center with such a name, and it is located in Gomel region. River backwater had been called Korma for a long time. As a result, the urban village was called this way. Ancient burial mounds, settlements in the surrounding area are the historical and cultural heritage of the village.
THE HISTORY OF KORMA
The first mention of Korma dates back to 1596. It was a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Korma was given by King Sigismund Augustus to Bykovsky family who owned these lands prior to the 20thcentury. Korma repeated the destiny of many Belarusian villages. It was a part of Rzeczpospolita, whereas after the first division the village became a part of the Russian Empire.
As it was mentioned, Bykovsky family owned Korma, but its historical and architectural heritage is linked with another dynasty. A daughter of Bykovsky married a representative of Doria-Dernalovich family. He initiated the construction of his own estate in Korma. The palace is well-preserved nowadays. It includes a beautiful two-story house, outbuildings, and a partially preserved park. You can see a water mill and starch factory.
In 1830 it was decided to build a stone Uniate church, however, the construction was stopped because of the rebellion in 1831. Later it was built as the Orthodox St Nicolas church. The church has a sad history. In 1960 it was burnt and ruined. People tried to restore it but Gomel eparchy did not support them. However, even the ruins of the church have a cultural and historical value.
In 1919 Korma became a part of the Soviet Union. In 1924 it became a part of the BSSR. Korma was a part of Mogilev region, later in 1938 it became a part of Gomel region.
On August 15, 1941, the Nazis invaded Korma. At that time Korma was the rear of Army Group Center.
After the seizure, the Nazis tried to eliminate the Jews. According to the 1939 census, almost a thousand Jews lived in Korma, forty percent of the total population. All of them were killed in the ghetto on November 8. An obelisk in memory of the killed was erected in 1966.