48 kilometers away fr om the regional center is a small town with the interesting name of Buda-Koshelevo. The settling of these areas began rather late, so there are no significant cultural-historical monuments there. Nevertheless, Buda-Koshelevo attracts tourists with the beauty of Belarusian nature and modern architecture. Besides, its inhabitants are famous for their hospitality.
The settlement of Koshelev was the place where Buda-Koshelevo appeared later. It was the territory of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in XVI century. The first mention of the village of Buda, which had been in Koshelevo district, was found in 1824. Then the population of the village predominately consisted of state peasants. The town got its modern name only in 1861.
The town began to grow and rise quickly thanks to the Libavo-Romenskaya railway, which was crossing the lands in 1873. The advent of the railway contributed to the economic development of the region. It was timber industry that had made Buda- Koshelevo well-known at the time. The samples of oak from Buda-Koshelevo reached even Paris and brought fame to the small town of Gomel region. In order to save valuable species of trees and rare plants in Buda-Koshelevo district, a preserve of Republican significance "Buda-Koshelevo" was founded. It was created with assistance of the UN General Assembly, now there are ten species of plants listed in the Red book of the Republic of Belarus in the preserve. Due to the refuge, two old oak trees with the estimated age from 240 to 320 years old could be saved from destruction.
In 1917 Buda- Koshelevo became the Russian territory, then it was included into the BSSR as an agricultural district. During the great Patriotic war an active clandestine movement worked there, fighting against the Nazis. Groups of fighters for freedom were run by N. D. Stefanovich, A. P. Baikov and others. In 1938 Buda-Koshelevo became an urban-type settlement, and after a few decades, in 1971, acquired the status of a town.
These are the monuments, established in honor of the victory in the war that the town is famous for. There are memorials and monuments included in the State list of historical cultural values of the Republic of Belarus. The grave of fascism victims is definitely worth visiting, as well as the fraternal grave wh ere 253 people murdered in the war are buried, and the bust of the famous countryman Buda-Kosheleva, pilot P. Ya. Golovachev, twice hero of the Soviet Union. Having destroyed as many as thirty enemy aircrafts, he went through many of the key battles of the great Patriotic war.
This land has raised another war hero – Admiral V. P. Drozd, who participated in the battles in Spain and the Russian-Finnish war. In his honor, an unusual stele was erected in the town. It imitates a fragment of a ship with the image of the Admiral at the helm.
Besides, the Museum-gallery, named after E. E. Moiseenko, is worth a visit too.