THE HISTORY OF PINSK CITY
Pinsk city stands at the confluence of two rivers called the Pina and the Pripyat. This town was first mentioned in the Ipatiev writing back in 1097.
In the eleventh century the modern area of the region was a part of Kiev Rus and the state of Turov. However, already in the XII century it turned into the independent State of Pinsk.
In XIV century, these lands became a part of the GDL. However, in 1521, after the death of Prince Theodore, Polish sovereign Sigismund I canceled Pinsk inheritance, giving these lands to his wife Queen Bona. In 1569, an alliance between GDL and Poland was signed and the Grand Duchies united in Rzeczpospolita (the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth).
Throughout the long history a lot of bloody battles passed on the lands of present-day Pinsk. The city remembers the attack of foreign commanders and the great invasion of the Swedes, which was held in 1706. Also feudal liberation war (1648-1654), Russian-Slavic war of 1654 - 1667 years passed by these lands. Pinsk experienced the French attack in 1812 too. Today the town is deservedly named as the historical and cultural centre of the Polesie region.
The forest and timber industry can be named as the main sector of Pinsk economy. However, there are factories engaged in food industry, machine building and metalworking production. In the city there are large centres of chemical-biological and microbiological areas.
Also it is worth noting that Pinsk has the status of the exporting city. A part of agricultural plants gets about 98% of export. More than 45% of production made in the city, is exported to various foreign countries. Russia has been one of the major economic partners of the city for many years.
Since this town has been standing on the Pina River, it contributed to the fact that Pinsk became one of the largest transportation hubs. Even in the Soviet Union the airport, which united Pinsk, Belarus and the Ukraine, was functioning in Pinsk. At that period of time, this airport was used exclusively for the needs of the Ministry of Emergency Situations.
THE ATTRACTIONS OF PINSK
Pinsk is considered the historical and cultural centre of the entire Polesie region. In the town there are more than 90 monuments. Pinsk itself is named as an architectural monument of national importance. The fort of the ancient village is called an archaeological reserve. Among the most momentous monuments of architecture it is necessary to designate the temple of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the monastery of Franciscan of XVI-XVIII centuries. The pride of this shrine is the painting titled «Madonna of Pinsk» or «Sadness Mother of God». Also in the church there is a pipe organ which is considered one of the oldest keyboard-wind instruments of our country.
The Jesuit Collegium conveniently located on the main square of the city of Pinsk on the banks of the Pina is the advantage of the city, too. This monumental building was built in 1635.
To sum it up we can conclude that Pinsk is a major historical and cultural centre and wealth of our country. Tourists from all over the world come to these lands to get closer to the roots of the sacred temples, as well as enjoy the unsurpassed architectural solutions.