The city called Luninets is located in the east of Brest region. It borders on Pinsk, Stolin and Gantsevichi areas. The total area of this city is 2.7 square kilometres. Luninets was formed on 15 January 1940. After 14 years, it became a part of Brest region, then was designated as a central point of the district with a population of about 25 thousand people.
LUNINETS – THE HISTORY OF THE CITY FORMATION
The settlement was first mentioned back in the fifteenth century. The construction of railway tracks contributed to the development of that area, then Luninets became one of the biggest railway junctions, and soon the center of the region. In the early twentieth century such Belarusian writers as Yakub Kolas and Alexander Blok lived in the town. Then, after the revolution, Luninets was given the status of the city and became the regional center as the part of Poland in 1921. Also in September 1939, those lands became the part of the Soviet Union.
In past centuries, Luninets had no coat of arms or flag. The city has received its heraldic symbols in recent times. There are three silver pieces on the blue background of the emblem. The crown is above, which is the symbol of the city belonging to the princely estates. Two arrows crossing each other are in the heart of the emblem.
NATURE AND CLIMATE
The area of the city and the entire district center is located within the boundaries of the Pripyat Polesie. The surface is low-lying. Deposits of granite, clay and sapropel were identified from the extracted minerals.
It is worth noting that a considerable number of rivers run through the entire big territory of Luninets district. These are the Pripyat River, Tsna, Bobryk, Volhva, Lan, Smerd.
The most important lake is White. This body of water is the center of the national reserve. It’s also worth noting that this region is rich in forests, which occupy about 40% of the total area. There is a considerable bog called Grichin.
ECONOMIC ACTIVITIES IN LUNINETS
Wood processing industry is highly developed in the city, as well as metal working and special mechanical engineering. Agricultural production is also well-formed, which is represented by livestock and growing crops.
THE TOURISM POTENTIAL OF LUNINETS
There is a huge amount of possessions in Luninets. These are different architectural monuments, among which is Temple of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, which was founded in 1912. Also, there are about 80 historical monuments, which include both obelisks and mass graves. There are archaeological sites in this city.
The city has a museum, which was opened in 1986. The main fund of the gallery is more than 8 thousand exhibits.
There is also a sanatorium called "Svitanok" on the territory of the district, which is placed in a pine forest. This sanatorium has a broad-based medical base, amazing clean air and peaceful atmosphere.
City Luninets is visited by many, not only Belarusian, but also foreign tourists.